Coconut Oil - A Healthy Fat!

There are many people who suffer with digestive issues (myself included) after the removal of a gallbladder. I have spent many years searching for answers as to why and for solutions.
I am not an expert, but I think I may have found a solution for me, well I am going to give it a go, it is natural and the research on it all adds up...


There are different types of fats which are digested in different ways-
LCTs (long chain triglycerides)
MCTs (medium chain triglycerides) = coconut oil, butter, whole milk and breast milk! (note these MCTs are all natural products)


LCTs need enzymes and bile for digestion, something that we without gallbladders don't always have a lot of.
MCTs digest quickly, are broken into fatty acids and do not need pancreatic enzymes or bile for digestion, are sent to the liver to be used immediately as fuel for energy, they don't supply the fat for fat cells or collect on artery walls (so they say). = FAT USED FOR ENERGY NOT BODY FAT got to love that!


Coconut Oil may help absorption of other nutrients (minerals, vitamins and amino acids), is good for hair and fighting off bacteria.
Coconut has a high melting point so can be used for cooking (it doesn't taste strong) or can be used in place of butter or eaten straight from the spoon!

Another bonus is that it is good value. I have just purchased a lovely jar of Niugini Organic Virgin Coconut Oil which also happens to be fair trade! 


Got to love coconuts!




Comments

Popular Posts