Gluten Free Orange Almond and Praline Cake

I found some delicious local oranges at the market the other day and when a birthday cake was required I decided to use them to make an orange cake.

I used this recipe (from Womans Weekly) for the cake, however I used gluten free SF this time, which actually made the cake very moist and a bit too crumbly but still tasty...

185g butter, softened
1 tbsp finely grated orange rind
1 cup caster sugar
3 eggs
1 cup self-raising flour
1/3 cup almond meal
1/2 cup orange juice

Preheat oven to 160C (140C fan-forced). Grease deep 22cm-round cake pan; line base and side with baking paper.

Beat butter, rind and caster sugar in a medium bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in sifted flour, almond meal and juice, in two batches. Pour mixture into pan. Bake cake for about 50 minutes.

Stand cake in pan for five minutes; turn, top-side up, on to wire rack to cool.


*The cake was very hard to cut in half, but I managed and then continued to spread a layer of orange syrup (fresh juice and caster sugar reduced) on the bottom half. I then filled it with blackberries and whipped cream, put the lid on and sifted icing sugar over it along with Hazelnut praline...
(Put Caster sugar in a large pan with skinned hazelnuts on top and heat till sugar melts without stirring, just move the pan until nuts pop and are covered in toffee. Spread over a tray covered in baking paper (mine was not spread thin enough!). When cool I broke some and crushed some.)
Lovely combination, however I would make double cake mix next time (to avoid cutting) and use less cream in the centre and more berries.

The Womans Weekly have some fantastic cake recipes, I love their books and adding my own little touches to create something different, lots of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment