Making a Hardcover Poetry Book

This is the finished book, a hardcover, fabric covered, french sewn original Poetry book.
Not perfect (the bookmaking side of things, not the poetry) but the children have all worked hard creating beautiful poems and now they can be cherished in a book format.



I slightly adjusted the cover in Photoshop, after seeing this fantastic one and printed it onto a Tshirt transfer sheet, however I did try printing directly onto the calico fabric (which I had glued to card) and it worked ok, minus a few ink smudges.
I glued white card onto thicker cardboard then glued fabric onto white card using this glue (it is all I had)...

I designed the page layout and printed them using my trusty little printer and 100gsm paper.
I used a wax covered black thread to sew segments of the book together(white would have been better had I had it) and white cotton tape for extra strength. Then the glue was out again to stick the cover plain pages to the cardboard.
I roughly followed the tips in this tutorial for sewing the pages together.


 These are books I made by sewing (with the machine) cardboard and paper together and stamping the front.

2 comments:

  1. Love this idea! Merry Christmas to you and your boys :) have a blessed time whatever your plans are. :) take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful book! Well done. It looks great. I love everything you have been making for Christmas, especially those lovely angel wings. And of course, Christmas Mouse, very cute. Merry Christmas to you and the boys!

    ReplyDelete